Electric Vehicles could lead to massive job losses: UAW
The Union of Auto Workers (UAW) has warned that the increasing adoption of electric vehicles (EVs) in the US could have a devastating effect on the jobs in the country. As per the warning, the EV revolution could result in jobs losses in the US.
The warning by the UAW has come against the backdrop of its currently ongoing efforts to unionize American EV maker Tesla’s Fremont manufacturing facility, which is biggest EV factory in the country. According to the union’s filings, it has spent more than $400,000 in 2017 on its ‘Tesla Campaign.’
The UAW’s earlier attempt at unionizing EV production in the US involved Japanese automaker Nissan’s LEAF-manufacturing Smyrna factory. But, that attempt was not successful.
The UAW’s warning about the disastrous impact of EV adoption on the US job market has come almost a month after the release of a study by German automotive labor union, in which it has been projected that the auto industry’s switch to EVs could lead to a loss of at least 75,000 jobs.
In asserting that the rise of EVs will probably be dire for US jobs, UAW’s research director Jennifer Kelly said that a transition to EVs will eliminate the jobs of “the workers who are making engines and transmissions today,” and added: “We’re looking at a considerable net job loss just in that technological transition.”
- What You Should Consider While Choosing the Best CBD Products?
- Virginia’s Hard Rock Bristol Casino proposal receives positive feedback from area residents
- Illinois Senate Approves Chicago Casino Plan
- Wynn Resorts Casino earns high marks for enhanced sexual misconduct policies in Massachusetts
- Nevada Governor Steve Sisolak sets June 4 as Target date for reopening of Casinos