Google updates Hangouts for Android app; merges SMS and IM conversations
Google has recently updated its Hangouts for Android app to version 2.1, bringing together SMS and Hangout messages into one single conversation window.
As a result of combined conversations coming to the Hangouts for Android app via the latest update, text/SMS and Hangout messages are now merged into a single conversation; with different kinds of messages defined by a label underneath texted replies.
About the merging of conversations in one window, Google said in a Google+ post: "You can control whether you want to send a message via Hangouts or SMS with the flip of a switch, and different message types will be easy to tell apart in the conversation. Of course, you can always merge and unmerge conversations if you'd like."
With the updated Hangouts for Android app doing away with the need to flip back and forth between texts and instant messages (IM), Google said that it will be easy to tell if a message is an SMS and Hangouts message --- the sent messages are white when sent as an SMS, and green when sent as a Hangout message.
Meanwhile, some of the other noteworthy improvements in the updated Hangouts for Android app include a new home screen widget to bring up recent conversations quickly, improved video call quality, and more reliable message performance.
- Canoo seeks patent to protect modular & customizable EV platform architecture
- Democratic Senator Tom Carper wants Biden administration to ban gas-powered cars by 2035
- Tesla doesn’t spend money on ‘manipulating’ public opinion: Elon Musk
- Tesla Model 3 outshines gas-powered counterparts to become world’s best-selling premium sedan
- US economy remains stable and will continue to grow