Biggest fall in food prices since April 2006
Statistics New Zealand latest report says that the food prices dropped down 0.6% with a sharp drop in kiwifruit prices almost by 55%.
In spite of the drop in April the food prices increased by 7.6% for the year to April 2009.
In the month of April fruit and vegetable dropped by 2%, grocery food fell by 0.4%, meat, poultry and fish decreased by 0.8%.
Non-alcoholic drinks dropped by approximately 1% during the month.
Restaurant meals and ready-to eat food increased by 0.4% and was the only subgroup to increase.
The most important decline came from the fruit and vegetables subgroup driven by lesser prices for kiwifruit (down by 54.8%).
The most important individual upward contribution came from tomatoes, witnessing a price increase of 26%.
- Nikola Motors puts hydrogen fuel-cell semi truck Badger project on back burner
- BMW expands vehicle recall over battery issue to more than 4,500 U.S. plug-in hybrids
- Karma Automotive announces attractive price tag & unique features for upcoming GSe-6 electric sedan
- Twin River acquires iconic Bally’s brand from Caesars Entertainment for $20 million
- Wynn Resorts’ Encore to close for 3 days a week due to low demand