Warnings about taking medicines from doubtful sources has again got the attention of NSW professionals after a Sydney man suffered severe lead poisoning after buying traditional medicines from India.
The middle-aged went to the Campbelltown Hospital, in Sydney's southwest, following discomfort resulting from vomiting and severe pain.
There were dangerously high levels of lead in his blood as his toxicology results revealed them.
A traditional ayurvedic medicine was about several months earlier was bought by him over the phone from India. He had seen an advertisement in a paper online.
The tests of the medicine showed that there were very high levels of lead, arsenic and mercury in them. The man after consuming them fell ill and finally had to be hospitalized.
According to Dr Stephen Conaty, NSW Public Health unit director of the Sydney South West Area Health Service, the man was lucky enough as the diagnosis showed no fatal illness.
Conaty said, "When ordering traditional medicines from overseas, people need to bear in mind that no assurance can be given regarding their safety, quality or effectiveness."
Good News USA
- Vodafone NZ’s new ‘Red Home’ packages will offer UFB and 150 TV channels
- Vodafone NZ’s full-year profit plunged by more than two-thirds to $56 million
- Vodafone adding 34 European countries to ‘AU$5 per day’ international roaming option
- Telstra launches its new ‘Every Day Connect Data Share Packages’
- Voyager signs “multimillion-dollar deal” with submarine cable group Hawaiki