Mahendra Chaudhry, Labor leader, has been alleged to commit frauds of money laundering and tax evasion. He was charged for the same and was taken to the court on Friday, as told by some reporters.
It has been expected that he has 400,000 Dollars in a Commonwealth Bank of Australia account and 50,000 Dollars were given to his daughter in Australia, without following any process.
He was told to surrender his passport in the court and further investigations will also be done against him.
The 12 charges, were made after he lost his PM position. He provided misleading information to the Fiji Islands Revenue and Customs Authority (FIRCA).
He is the first ethnic Indian leader, who became the Prime Minister of Fiji in 1999. But he remained in that position for a year, after that he was dethroned by nationalist George Speight.
The offense was made during his service, as the Finance Minister in the current military-led Government of Voreqe Bainimarama. The audit of the financial statements disclosed his fraud, which he committed in overseas financial dealings.
As for now, he has got bail and will be present in the court, next week.
Good News USA
- Vodafone NZ’s new ‘Red Home’ packages will offer UFB and 150 TV channels
- Vodafone NZ’s full-year profit plunged by more than two-thirds to $56 million
- Vodafone adding 34 European countries to ‘AU$5 per day’ international roaming option
- Telstra launches its new ‘Every Day Connect Data Share Packages’
- Voyager signs “multimillion-dollar deal” with submarine cable group Hawaiki