The recent report presented by an Australian Institute of Health and Welfare (AIHW) revealed that asthma takes more than 63,000 years of healthy life from Australians.
Report said that more than 4000 years are lost due to deaths because of asthma while 59,054 years are lost due impact of the condition on life. Asthma is on number 11 in the table of contributors to total years lost. It accounts for 2.4 percent loss.
Data revealed that children are most affected by the burden of asthma. Report claimed that asthma was the leading cause of "burden of disease" for children aged up to 14 leaving anxiety and depression behind.
It was found that children aged zero to 14 years bear around 61 per cent of the total burden of asthma in the community.
Professor Guy Marks from the AIHW's Australian Centre for Asthma Monitoring said: "This burden is particularly heavy for children - asthma is the leading cause of burden of disease among children, ahead of anxiety and depression."
The report claimed that asthma will continue to rank as one of the major causes of disease burden in Australia for the next two decades especially among females.
Good News USA
- Vodafone NZ’s new ‘Red Home’ packages will offer UFB and 150 TV channels
- Vodafone NZ’s full-year profit plunged by more than two-thirds to $56 million
- Vodafone adding 34 European countries to ‘AU$5 per day’ international roaming option
- Telstra launches its new ‘Every Day Connect Data Share Packages’
- Voyager signs “multimillion-dollar deal” with submarine cable group Hawaiki