The province's health agency was directed by the Alberta's health minister to release a full report on medical errors that took place at the Calgary's children's hospital within 10 days.
There were a couple of mistakes at the hospital last year and these were four patient-care mistakes that included two non-lethal drug overdoses. A review into this found that found that poor communication and improper use of equipment was responsible for the errors.
Alberta Health Services on Tuesday released the review. Distribution of the complete report was however refused by the agency. Reasons for the refusal cited were privacy concerns and this was despite the report's author saying that the report was designed for public release.
Dr John Cowell, CEO of the Health Quality Council of Alberta, said, “The report was written so that no patient or staff member can be identified.”
However, the hospital's interim vice-president Margaret Fullerton while disagreeing said, “Some details of the full review of the incidents are confidential and legislation requires that they remain so.”
Alberta Health Minister Gene Zwozdesky stated that he has told the concerned people to go through the reports in detail and the full report will be issued to the public in about 10 days.
Officials at the hospital said apologies were made to each of the families involved in the medical mistakes.