The new Nevro spinal cord stimulators are said to be 200 times more powerful than the existing NHS stimulators and are expected to be a revolutionary device in treating severe backaches.
The first implant of the US made at Guy's and St Thomas' Hospital, London, was used on 100 patients. The medical team at the hospital said that the device will expectedly cure severe problem of back pain in these patients who would otherwise be cured by surgery.
The new high frequency version of the device is comparatively compact and less expensive, and uses electrical pulse to kill the pain. It is designed to give immediate relief from the pain without any trouble. The patients are able to get relief and enjoy good sleep with help of this device, said Dr. Adnan Al-Kaisy, a Consultant in pain management and the leader in the Nevro study.
The patients get a wire inserted into their epidural space which is connected to battery. And if this current helps to kill pain in them, full Nevro system is implanted. "Patients have no idea whether surgery will work, whereas with the Nevro they know what to expect. We give them a trial before going ahead with a permanent implant", added Dr. Al-Kaisy.
Good News USA
- AT&T closes its $1.2 billion acquisition of Leap Wireless
- Verizon announces new AllSet prepaid plans with rollover feature
- AT&T selects two trial locations to transition landline customers away from copper wire line
- Vodafone Foundation launches Instant Network Mini ‘mobile network in a backpack’
- Brunswick and South Morang phone and Internet users being urged to switch to NBN