As per a recent report, it has been uncovered that Australia would from now on be seeing sales of cigarettes in plain packaging. The World Health Organization has declared the same recently after the High Court made this decision.
It is being believed that plain packaging with graphic health warnings on them would help people to turn back and quit their smoking habits. Since, beautiful packaging attracts addicted people along with new youngsters to come and join the addicts.
But, prices and appearance of products highly do influence their preferences, says the report. The nation is of the opinion that in case the step is still not taken to introduce plain packaging, the number of deaths due to smoking would rise significantly.
While the same has now been noted to be six million, it is being estimated by the WHO that the figures may reach some eight million by sometime in 2030. Thus, the new law has been planned to be implemented from December 1 this year so that the delay already being seen is not extended further.
Even New Zealand as well as Canada and Britain with some other countries have been planning to do the same down the road. "With Australia's victory, public health enters a brave new world of tobacco control", says director general Margaret Chan.
Good News USA
- Vodafone NZ’s new ‘Red Home’ packages will offer UFB and 150 TV channels
- Vodafone NZ’s full-year profit plunged by more than two-thirds to $56 million
- Vodafone adding 34 European countries to ‘AU$5 per day’ international roaming option
- Telstra launches its new ‘Every Day Connect Data Share Packages’
- Voyager signs “multimillion-dollar deal” with submarine cable group Hawaiki