The case of a woman who was left blind after consuming cocktails has cautioned health experts, who have now been warning all travelers from New Zealand to Indonesia to pay extra attention before preferring anything for drinking, according to a report published recently in an Australasian medical journal, Emergency Medicine Australasia.
It has been found that the backpacker from North America had arrived in the country with a problem of breath shortness. Also, the then 19-year-old girl had got her vision blurred some 35 hours after she had visited a Balinese bar.
Investigation into the case had discovered that she had had eight to 10 cocktails in the bar. And the same was the reason behind her turning blind, partially though. Since, all the drinks were mixed with methanol content as well as Arrack and fruit juice.
It is being said that despite her admission and treatment at Christchurch Hospital after notice of her symptoms, she tended to die. A similar case was seen previously also, but far back in 1992.
Paul Gee, who is an emergency physician at the hospital, has further told that most of the drinks in the nation are home-made. "Sometimes people buy drinks that are in bottles that look legitimate but people should be sticking to commercially produced brands", he thus suggests.
Good News USA
- Vodafone NZ’s new ‘Red Home’ packages will offer UFB and 150 TV channels
- Vodafone NZ’s full-year profit plunged by more than two-thirds to $56 million
- Vodafone adding 34 European countries to ‘AU$5 per day’ international roaming option
- Telstra launches its new ‘Every Day Connect Data Share Packages’
- Voyager signs “multimillion-dollar deal” with submarine cable group Hawaiki