Tasmania supplies 50% of opium poppy supply to the world. Recently, it has been found that due to the lack of supply, one of the region’s companies has been allowed to import poppy plant. The news has caused troubles among opium growers in the region.
If calculations adds some value to the statement, then let it be included here as well. It has been said that opium growers earn $100 million per year, for meeting the demands of opium. Keith Rice, who is the executive of poppy firm known as the Poppy Growers Association of Tasmania said that the Tasmanian government has not provided good deal.
One of the reasons for poor growth was change in weather. Jarrod Ritchie, who is the chief executive of TPI Enterprises, was of the view that for last two years, they have been witnessing poor weather conditions. This is the reason that they have to take permission from the government to import another plant.
It is vital to take permission from the government as it is quite a controlled trade, which works under stringent conditions. Talking about the contract, Jarrod said that 140 farmers are in their support and have even signed the contract.
Good News USA
- Vodafone NZ’s new ‘Red Home’ packages will offer UFB and 150 TV channels
- Vodafone NZ’s full-year profit plunged by more than two-thirds to $56 million
- Vodafone adding 34 European countries to ‘AU$5 per day’ international roaming option
- Telstra launches its new ‘Every Day Connect Data Share Packages’
- Voyager signs “multimillion-dollar deal” with submarine cable group Hawaiki