Posting racist and threatening messages on twitter about South Koreans, a swiss footballer was expelled from the Olympics. Hours after Switzerland lost to South Korea, Michel Morganella posted comments saying, South Koreans could "go burn", calling them "a bunch of mongoloids." Talking about his team member's comments, Swiss Olymppic team chief Gian Gilli said, "Morganella discriminated against, insulted and violated the dignity of the South Korea football team as well as the South Korean people." He added that Morganella was stripped of his Olympic accreditation. He is the second athlete to be thrown out of the London Olympic games for posting distasteful comments on twitter.
The 23-year-old athlete later apologized for his comments "I apologize sincerely to the people of South Korea, to the players, but equally to the Swiss delegation and Swiss football in general. It's clear that I'm accepting the consequences". "After the disappointing result and the reaction from Korea that followed, I made a huge error," he said.
Voula Papachristou, Greek triple jumper was kicked off the Greek Olympic team last week when she posted comments on twitter mocking African immigrants and supporting a far-right political party.
Good News USA
- Vodafone NZ’s new ‘Red Home’ packages will offer UFB and 150 TV channels
- Vodafone NZ’s full-year profit plunged by more than two-thirds to $56 million
- Vodafone adding 34 European countries to ‘AU$5 per day’ international roaming option
- Telstra launches its new ‘Every Day Connect Data Share Packages’
- Voyager signs “multimillion-dollar deal” with submarine cable group Hawaiki