With the departure of Jennifer Lopez and Steven Tyler from American Idol, it Mariah Carey who is the new entry in the American Idol gang. The 42 year old singer who has sold over 100 million albums worldwide is the new judge on the show.
Mariah is reportedly being paid $17 million (£11 million) for one season on American Idol, which is $2 million higher than what Britney Spears will receive for being a judged at US X Factor.
With both Tyler and Jennifer out of the judging panel, it’s uncertain who would be accompanying Carey at the judges. Also reports are that the only existing judge of the show, Randy Jackson will be shuffled to a mentor position. Jackson being Carey’s manager was enormously instrumental in getting her to do the show, said Kevin Reilly, president of Fox network.
With the channels now facing battle of the ratings, it has become very essential to have big names associated with your show, be it Demi lovato and Spears on The X Factor or Adam Levine and Christina Aguilera on The Voice. However, this not being the case earlier. Talking about her joining the show, Mariah expressed her excitement over the phone, as she couldn’t be there in person, she said, "I am so excited to be joining Idol. I can't wait to get started in the fall... and I will see you in January. I wanted to be there today and I wish I could've been there to tell you, but I think you know this all kind of just happened real quickly."
Good News USA
- Vodafone NZ’s new ‘Red Home’ packages will offer UFB and 150 TV channels
- Vodafone NZ’s full-year profit plunged by more than two-thirds to $56 million
- Vodafone adding 34 European countries to ‘AU$5 per day’ international roaming option
- Telstra launches its new ‘Every Day Connect Data Share Packages’
- Voyager signs “multimillion-dollar deal” with submarine cable group Hawaiki