This gender bender has still to go through some more tests enabling the team of doctors to be sure and clear which gender does former athlete Pinki Pramanik actually belongs to?
The issue arose when Pinki's woman companion alleged her to be a man and assaulting her several times earlier. The allegations resulted in the arrest of the athlete, who underwent a gender determination test some days earlier but since the report has emerged inconclusive on Monday, officials are clearing to be performing some more tests over the Asian gold medalist enabling them to arrive at a final verdict on her gender.
The arrest was made on June 14. Since the date, Pinki is in judicial custody and investigations are on. Pinki Pramanik's initial tests were run at SSKM Hospital by the 11-member medical board.
Statements of hospital authorities have confirmed that SSKM Hospital is lacking facilities to efficiently conduct chromosomal tests, and thus officials are preparing to seek permission from higher authorities to conduct tests at some other facility.
"Certain tests to determine the gender of the athlete were conducted at the hospital. However the facilities for one of the tests [karyotype -- a chromosomal test] are not available at the hospital", Hospital Superintendent Mr. T. K. Ghosh said.
Good News USA
- Vodafone NZ’s new ‘Red Home’ packages will offer UFB and 150 TV channels
- Vodafone NZ’s full-year profit plunged by more than two-thirds to $56 million
- Vodafone adding 34 European countries to ‘AU$5 per day’ international roaming option
- Telstra launches its new ‘Every Day Connect Data Share Packages’
- Voyager signs “multimillion-dollar deal” with submarine cable group Hawaiki