Sperm swimming can lead to new form of male contraception and can control its speed as it gets near the egg. Researchers have found that a chemical change can start sperm swimming.
Tiny pores on the sperm’s surface changes the internal pH level which helps in its tail movements. Researchers of the University of California, San Francisco hopes that the study might help to know why marijuana makes men infertile.
"The concentration of protons inside the sperm cell is 1,000 times higher than outside. If you just open a pore, protons will go outside - we identify the molecule that lets them out", said Dr. Yuriy Kirichok, a researcher. These pores are placed to open in right moment. They respond to anandamide present in the female reproductive organ, particularly near the egg.
This is a critical process as a sperm will die before reaching the egg if it starts too early and vice-versa it will miss its opportunity.
Good News USA
- Vodafone NZ’s new ‘Red Home’ packages will offer UFB and 150 TV channels
- Vodafone NZ’s full-year profit plunged by more than two-thirds to $56 million
- Vodafone adding 34 European countries to ‘AU$5 per day’ international roaming option
- Telstra launches its new ‘Every Day Connect Data Share Packages’
- Voyager signs “multimillion-dollar deal” with submarine cable group Hawaiki