The Nelson Marlborough District Health Board has been criticized for giving him an overdose medication to a 64-year-old mental health patient which resulted in his death.
The man was admitted to DHB's acute mental health care unit in 2008. He was injected with access amount of fluphenazine, his condition deteriorated and he died the next year.
The Health and Disability Commissioner Anthony Hill said that the DHB has been found guilty of breaching the patient's right to service properly and the Health and Disability Consumer Rights Code in being unsuccessful to give the drug in an appropriate way.
The recommended dose was 22mg to 75mg every three weeks, whereas the man was given 162.5 milligrams and 225mg for around 40 days.
The man’s family had complained to the commissioner in June 2009, about the inadequate care provided by the hospital unit. Later the commissioner started with the investigation last year.
The board has admitted the fault of the staff and said that it will provide guidelines to the staff to prescribe medication according to the recommended dosage. Also, to avoid further confusion and mistakes, the board has implemented the national medical chart.
The DHB has been asked to apologize to the man’s family.
Good News USA
- Vodafone NZ’s new ‘Red Home’ packages will offer UFB and 150 TV channels
- Vodafone NZ’s full-year profit plunged by more than two-thirds to $56 million
- Vodafone adding 34 European countries to ‘AU$5 per day’ international roaming option
- Telstra launches its new ‘Every Day Connect Data Share Packages’
- Voyager signs “multimillion-dollar deal” with submarine cable group Hawaiki