The Comparison of AMD Treatments Trials research group, were reported to have done a research on ranibizumab and bevacizumab, which are said to have similar effect in the treatment of neovascular age related macular degeneration.
AMD, is reported to be the leading cause of blindness in developed countries, and has generated argument regarding a better treatment for it.
Though ranibizumab was approved for the treatment of neovascular AMD, bevacizumab, which is marketed as, an anticancer drug Avastin was not approved.
However, bevacizumab is used by the majority of ophthalmologists, owing to it`s cheap rate.
The researchers examined the comparison research on 1200 patients with neovascular AMD a year ago, and they discovered that the drugs enhanced vision at the same rate when they are being prescribed.
The effects of bevacizumab changed when it was prescribed, while that of ranibizumab remained the same. Also, throughout the first year's fellow-up on the drugs, they had the same effect on visual acuity at all points in time.
Moreover, patients have been asked to be careful while interpreting the research trails as the data were insufficient, by the UK Royal College of Ophthalmologists, who have also stated that ranibizumab, will continue to be the recommended treatment for neovascular AMD.
Good News USA
- Vodafone NZ’s new ‘Red Home’ packages will offer UFB and 150 TV channels
- Vodafone NZ’s full-year profit plunged by more than two-thirds to $56 million
- Vodafone adding 34 European countries to ‘AU$5 per day’ international roaming option
- Telstra launches its new ‘Every Day Connect Data Share Packages’
- Voyager signs “multimillion-dollar deal” with submarine cable group Hawaiki