The latest figures regarding strokes in America have witnessed a strange development. Apparently, a greater number of youngsters are suffering strokes, while seniors have witnessed a decline in the number of stroke cases.
If compared to the data regarding the mid-90s, the numbers have witnessed a jump of 50%. According to the figures available, an estimated 800,000 Americans end up suffering a stroke. Seniors happen to account for 75% of the cases. However, it needs to be pointed out that even youngsters and children can suffer a stroke as well.
The 50% hike in strokes for people aged between 5 and 44-years old has been after a comparison between the data regarding 1995-1995 and 266-2007.
Ischemic strokes can prove to be fatal for many people and even result in the death of millions across the world. They happen to occur when blood flow to a person’s brain is blocked because of a clot. The block results in a lack of oxygen in the brain, which results in brain tissue damage and in some situations, paralysis.
Talking about the prevailing trends, an official of the US Centers for Disease Control, Mary George, said that the biggest cause of ischemic strokes among younger people was because of increasing obesity.
Good News USA
- Vodafone NZ’s new ‘Red Home’ packages will offer UFB and 150 TV channels
- Vodafone NZ’s full-year profit plunged by more than two-thirds to $56 million
- Vodafone adding 34 European countries to ‘AU$5 per day’ international roaming option
- Telstra launches its new ‘Every Day Connect Data Share Packages’
- Voyager signs “multimillion-dollar deal” with submarine cable group Hawaiki